Friday 3 August 2012

Dew Drops

As I watch the morning grass,
I see the dew drops turn to glass.
The colours dance from blue to pink,
to green, oh how those dew drops wink.

The sun is out and warming up,
as am I with my trusty cup,
filled with sweet and milky tea.
My toast is getting there, I see.

Now the dew begins to dry
and steam begins to rise and try
to disappear into the sky,
a rainbow mist before my eye.

A spider on his web so fine
is hampered by dew on his line
of silken thread he moulds and bends
into his home where he descends.

He tries to catch his morning fly
but dew drops halt his every try
to find his way across the plain.
Too late, he's gone, try again.

When my tea is drunk and gone,
I step inside to carry on
with chores and tasks I could ignore,
when something stops me at the door.

A shining light from outside pours
in through the windows and the door.
A spectacle I never thought I'd see:
the fairies dancing just for me.

They used the dew drops as their lights,
for music, one was playing the pipes.
Another had a fiddle of gold.
What a story my eyes told.

I turned my gaze from all these sights,
from dancing fairies, and their lights.
But when I looked back, expecting light,
my eyes portrayed a different sight.

For the fairies, bright and smart and fast
were dancing round the shadows cast
by my garden gnomes and wishing well.
Oh, how I wished I could tell.

One approached and said to me
"We have been watching over thee,
keeping evil things at bay,
all through the night and also day."

My eyes were wide at what was said
but soon I closed them, and in my head
I told myself that they weren't real,
and went inside to eat my meal.

On looking out my kitchen window,
I know that fairies are lying low,
keeping watch on my abode,
and those who pass the threshold.

So if you meet a fairy or two,
don't be frightened, they're just for you.
They keep you safe, though they hide.
Just try to keep your eyes wide...

03/08/12

No comments:

Post a Comment